Sunday, January 30, 2011

boxes of time

As I walked into the village to get groceries this morning, I was thinking of this blog, I was thinking of Facebook.  I thought of how often I sit to blog something and end up being on FB. 

I was talking to my hubby the other day about how I have come to completely ignore most chinese characters on packages and things.  Brad has characters he can recognize because he pays attention.  I explained that there is a process that goes on in my brain constantly.  Information is offered to me and somewhere inside of me I decide whether it is needed or not.   If it is deemed 'un-needed' is thrown out never to be remembered again.  Now being the person I am, it seems funny to some that I can remember small personal details of people's lives that I have heard once, but not recognize a character that I look at every single day.  But alas, that is who I am.

So what does this have to do with blogging and FB you may ask.  Well, I have a certain amount of energy or brainspace saved for things like 'socialnetworking'.  I have allowed the FB world to gobble up that allotment.  This was part of the reason I resisted Fb for so long.  I do realize that on days that I feel a bit lonely on this little island, FB gives me a false sense of connectedness (not fully false as there are many people I am able to stay in touch with thru, but you know what I am saying).  Thus I use up the certain allotted energy.  Not sure what I am going to do about it, but there it is.

Yes I am also FULLY aware at just how cliche this post is.  I have read so many of them.  I hate being cliche but there it is. 

Complete and total side note.  Wanted to share just how global our lives have become here.  Last homeschool meet up my dd was playing with a two girls.  One from Singapore, and one from the UK.  The game they were playing...........Mongolian Migrants!  Love love love it!!!!!! Today the kids are playing with a family from S. Africa currently living in China, and another family from here on the island who are bilingual in Cantonese and French.  Things that make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment